What is Code Club?
Did you know that you can learn how to code at your local library? That’s right! In collaboration with our friends at Code Club Aotearoa, we have been running Code Clubs across Wellington City Libraries since early 2018, and we’re now taking registrations for Code Clubs across the city for Term 3 2021. This year, our He Matapihi branch, on the ground floor of the National Library in Thorndon, joined the Code Club family, and we’re also excited to announce that our Code Club at Cummings Park Library in Ngaio is back up and running after taking some time off in 2020.
How can I register for Code Club at my local library?
Click the relevant link to register (please note some of our Clubs are full already! You can still click the link to be waitlisted for the next intake of students):
- Cummings Park Library Code Club — Mondays at 4.00pm (register here)
- He Matapihi Library Code Club — Wednesdays at 3.45pm (register here)
- Johnsonville Library Code Club Level 1 — Thursdays at 3.30pm (this club is FULL; click here to join the waitlist)
- Johnsonville Library Code Club Level 2 — Wednesdays at 5.00pm (this club is FULL; click here to join the waitlist)
- Karori Library Code Club — Tuesdays at 3.30pm (register here)
- Mervyn Kemp (Tawa) Library Code Club — Saturdays at 2.00pm (register here)
- Newtown Library Code Club — Mondays at 4.00pm (register here)
What will I do at Code Club?
At Code Club, you will complete progressive coding challenges under the guidance of librarians and other coding experts! Most of our Code Clubs start off by covering projects in Scratch 3.0 (and it’s useful if you already have an account, but we can help you make one if you don’t!), with some groups moving on to cover other coding practices like Python and HTML/CSS (using popular multi-purpose coding platform trinket.io). Contact your local club if you want to find out more about what they offer, or you can check out some of the projects yourself here!
To finish up, below is an example of one of the simple games you could find yourself making after just a couple of weeks of attending Code Club. It really is fun! How many ghosts can you capture, ghostbuster?