The school holidays are almost upon us — just 5 sleeps to go! With the Prime Minister’s announcement that we will be moving to COVID-19 Alert Level 1 from midnight tonight, we thought this calls for some kind of celebration. And what better way to celebrate than with music?
These school holidays, from September 26 — October 11, Wellington City Libraries are inviting you to Make Musical Mayhem with us at your local library or community centre! There’s heaps to do, from awe-inspiring interactive performances with our friends at Orchestra Wellington and musical craft extravaganzas with LEGO and recycled materials, to workshops on making music for robots, speed-dating musical instruments, and even a big dance party at our new Central branch, Te Awe Library on Brandon Street. There’s fun for the whole family, so check out the schedule below, or go to our event calendar for the full details of what’s on offer at your library!
Building Sound: Creating Music with Apps
Want to make music at home? Come along and learn how to make your own tunes at home using apps. We will explore different music-making apps, and how to layer different sounds and instruments to create our own pieces of music. Tablets will be provided, however we encourage you to bring your own.
Suitable for ages 8+ with their caregivers.
- Te Awe Library, Tuesday 29 September, 11.00am
Introduction to the Orchestra
Want to learn about the inner workings of an orchestra? In preparation for “Where’s My Triangle?” with Orchestra Wellington on the 4th of October, Te Awe Library will be screening an entertaining guide to the orchestra, suitable for the whole family!
Bring your parents and grandparents — everyone is sure to learn something new.
- Te Awe Library, Sunday 27 September, 1.30pm
Let’s Go LEGO®: Musical Edition
Are you a master builder in disguise? Join us for this special music-themed edition of Let’s Go LEGO® for our musical school holidays. Let’s build – let’s explore – let’s create your LEGO® magnum opus!
Suitable for ages 5+ with their caregivers.
- Khandallah Library, Friday 2 October, 3.30pm
- Mervyn Kemp (Tawa) Library, Wednesday 7 October, 11.00am
- Johnsonville Library, Friday 9 October, 11.00am
- Brooklyn Library, Friday 9 October, 2.00pm
- Te Awe Library, Sunday 11 October, 11.00am
Makey Makey: Music for Robots!
What if we told you you could make a musical instrument out of everyday materials you find lying around? A banana piano? No problem. A drum kit made of keys and coins? Why not! Join us for a special music-making session with our Makey Makeys — who knows what you’ll create!
Suitable for children of all ages with their caregivers.
- Khandallah Library, Tuesday 29 September, 2.00pm
- Cummings Park (Ngaio) Library, Tuesday 6 October, 2.00pm
- Johnsonville Library, Wednesday 7 October, 11.00am
Musical Movie Screenings
Join us for these special music-themed movie screenings for the whole family! Find out which movies we are screening by calling the library, or come along in your PJs for a musical surprise! All movies chosen will have a G or PG rating. Popcorn supplied!
- Te Awe Library, Thursday 1 October, 1.30pm
- Karori Library, Thursday 8 October, 5.30pm
Join us for these special musical storytimes, featuring songs and musical stories for the whole family! Come along prepared to make some noise — bring your own instruments if you’re feeling extra brave!
Suitable for children aged 2-6 with their caregivers.
- Karori Library, Wednesday 30 September, 10.30am
- Khandallah Library, Tuesday 6 October, 10.30am
- Cummings Park (Ngaio) Library, Wednesday 7 October, 10.30am
Party Time at Te Awe Library!
To celebrate the end of the school holidays, you are invited to a special party right here in the library! Do you want to play party games? Do you enjoy dance and song? Then grab your grown-up and bring them along to Te Awe Library prepared to have LOTS OF FUN!
Suitable for ages 6-9 with their caregivers.
- Te Awe Library, Friday 9 October, 11.00am
Recycled Musical Crafts
Did you know that you can make a harmonica out of popsicle sticks? Or a guitar from a tissue box? Get your craft on these school holidays and turn your trash into treasure as we make our very own musical instruments from everyday items! Materials will be provided, but you are welcome to bring your own recycled item if there’s something special you wish to transform.
Suitable for ages 5+ with their caregivers.
- Te Awe Library, Friday 2 October, 11.00am
Speed-Date a Musical Instrument!
Ever wanted to know what it’s like to play a musical instrument you’ve never tried before? Come along for this special opportunity to get up close, have a go, and learn about various musical instruments at stations placed throughout the library. Friendly library staff will guide you through your introduction to these instruments and the musical world.
Suitable for ages 4+ with their caregivers.
- Brooklyn Library, Thursday 1 October, 2.00pm
- Wadestown Library, Thursday 8 October, 2.00pm
‘Where’s My Triangle?’ with Orchestra Wellington
Orchestra Wellington is proud to present their 2020 Music to Schools programme, “Where’s My Triangle?” by the POW! Trio. Join us for this unique opportunity to get up-close to the family of instruments played by the percussionists of Orchestra Wellington. The show features music for a variety of instruments and musical styles from classical to pop, and the POW! Trio takes us on an adventure of EPIC proportions as they introduce instruments you never even knew existed!
This event is suitable for children of all ages accompanied by their caregivers. Special thanks to our friends at Orchestra Wellington!
- Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie) Library, Thursday 1 October, 10.30am
- Newtown Library, Thursday 1 October, 1.30pm
- Newlands Community Centre, Friday 2 October, 10.30am
- Karori Library, Friday 2 October, 1.30pm
- Johnsonville Library, Sunday 4 October, 10.30am
- Te Awe Library, Sunday 4 October, 1.30pm