Joining Wellington City Libraries
We have joining options available for everyone - even if you don't live in the Wellington City ratepaying area. Best of all, getting a membership card is free!
Visit our Who Can Join page to see what kind of membership you are eligible for.
- Ratepayers and residents of Wellington City and their children
- Members of the Wellington Tenths Trust and their children
- Students enrolled with a NZQA education facility in Wellington
- Commuters working for Wellington businesses
- People living outside Wellington City (although there are different usage conditions. A different subscription membership may suit you better.)
Note that if you are Housebound or Print Impaired, your membership is free and also selected services.
Conditions of Membership
On your first visit to the library, please come with a valid ID & recent proof of address to join and borrow books.
- Visit any WCL branch and supply us with Valid ID (e.g. driver's licence, passport) and recent proof of address, and an alternative address (from someone who knows you well).
- A Parent or Guardian is required to sign the form and be responsible for all Child or Young Adult cards and the items issued on them.
- Cards shouldn't be used by anyone else but the cardholder. All items borrowed are the responsibility of the card holder.
- All items are to be returned to the library before closing time on their due date.
- The library must be notified of any change of address and any library card lost or stolen. All items issued before such notification are the card holders' responsibility.
- Payment is to be made on demand for all item rental charges, overdue charges, damages and replacement charges that are incurred.
- Information will be passed on to a debt collection and credit reporting agency should you default, and an administration charge may be incurred.
- You cannot join online if you are an existing member. If you are unsure whether you belong to the library, please contact us.
The membership card may not be used to issue items until the enrolment form is signed and the relevant ID and proof of address is shown.