Working for Wellington City Libraries and Community Spaces
We're looking for people who share our passion for Wellington and have the same values that we do - to make our city an even better place to live and work in.
We are a business unit of Wellington City Council where services and projects are as diverse and interesting as the people who deliver them. Join us in making a positive difference - shape your own future, while reshaping the future of Wellington.
Team Member, Customer Service (South-East)
This is a great opportunity for you to join our team at Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie), Miramar, Newtown , Island Bay branch libraries and Island Bay Community Centre.
Our vision is to be open for creativity, connection and innovation. Our mission is to connect our communities to knowledge, wonder and possibilities through the network of libraries and community spaces. The major focus of this role is the provision of lending services and delivering children's programmes.
The role involves a broad range of activities which include:
- Provision of exceptional customer service
- Delivery of children's programmes and other outreach activities. This will include class visits, Pre-school story times, Baby rock and rhyme and pre-school outreach
- Membership services including customer registration, answering queries, processing payments, and support patrons to borrow items
- Enabling customers to use their devices and e-readers
- Sorting, shelving, displaying and promoting library materials
- Have a working knowledge of computer software, on-line resources, e-reader technology in order to support patrons
You will be a team player who thrives on providing exceptional customer service and you'll be able to build rapport with customers of all ages. You will pride yourself on being flexible, well organised and you will be accurate and have an excellent eye for detail.
The following experience and skills are also necessary to be successful in this position:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to work with our diverse range of customers
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Experience in accurately handling money
- Good physical fitness
- Being at ease with technology in its various forms and be committed to keeping current with the increasing range of devices and resources which you will use with customers and to answer their many and varied questions
The part time position is 8 hour shifts are to be worked on Tuesdays to Fridays, from 9am until 6pm, and Saturdays from 9.45am-12.45pm.
Applicants must be prepared to undergo police vetting if shortlisted. Please go to Wellington City Council's Careers site for a role description and to apply.
For more information email Andrea Thomas or call on 021 247 8155. Applications close 25 January 2017.
Team Member, Customer Service (North Cluster)
If you thought being a customer service team member at a library was boring, then think again! The roles include more than issuing books. It involves team work in a productive team who provide a fantastic library and community service to residents of the Northern areas in Wellington.
The person we are looking for is digitally competent and confident, and gets a buzz from assisting customers with their digital needs. But the job isn't all digital, making this a varied job where no two days are the same.
On a daily basis your tasks might include:
- Helping set up eBooks on customer devices
- Guiding customers through connecting their phone to Wi-Fi
- Showing customers how to find and download information from the Internet
- Processing, loaning and shelving books
- Answering customer's enquiries
- Preparing and presenting children's and adult's programmes
- Relieving at community centres
- Outreach visits to schools and/or groups in the community
If you can answer 'yes' to these questions, then you're the person we're looking for.
- Are you a people person who is passionate about providing excellent customer service?
- Are you energetic? Do you embrace change? Would you love to learn and explore?
- Do you describe yourself as 'IT savvy' with great computer skills and the ability to assist customers with limited ability on a computer, smart phone or tablet?
- Do you have great problem solving skills, with the ability to troubleshoot problems on devices, digital services and in general?
- Would you love to combine your love of books with your IT skills?
This full-time permanent role will be worked at the Johnsonville and Tawa libraries, with relieving at the Churton Park, Newlands & Tawa community centres, as required.
The hours of work will be Monday (8.45-5.45pm), Tuesday (8.30-5.30pm), Wednesday (8.45-5.45pm) & Friday (8.45-5.45pm) at the Johnsonville library. Thursday's hours will be 11.15am-8.15pm at the Tawa library.
For more information, contact Wendy Jacobs, Coach Libraries and Community Spaces on 8038271 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close on Monday 30 January 2017 . Only online applications will be accepted.
Please go to Wellington City Council's Careers site for a role description and to apply.
Central Library, Customer Specialist (Adults)
Do you believe in making a difference in people's lives through promoting and outreaching library services? Looking for a varied role with new challenges every day?
Wellington City Libraries are looking for a customer focused, digitally literate team player to impress customers with informative library experiences and increase usage across a wide range of adult customers.
In this role you will resolve customer enquiries, maintain professional networks with community organisations, improve access to and promote library services, and prepare website, social media and other content.
You will be skilled as a library professional, and keen to support life-long learning in fresh and innovative ways. Some evening and weekend work on a rostered basis is expected.
If you have any queries please contact Joanne Horner, Team Leader Libraries and Community Spaces, 04 801 4109, email@example.com
Apply to join our friendly high-performing team by Friday the 20th January 2017. Only online applications will be accepted. Please go to Wellington City Council's Careers site for a role description and to apply.
Register for Job Alerts
If you'd like to receive personalised emails when vacancies come up that fit your role preferences, it's easy to sign up for job alerts:
- Go to the 'Council vacancies' link above.
- If you don't already have a log-in, click 'Register Now' and register your details.
- Once you are logged in, choose 'Job Search' and tell us what type of role you are interested in and then click 'Save'.
When you apply for a role, we want you to be prepared so you can demonstrate your skills and experience in the best possible light. For information on our recruitment process and what to expect, please visit the Working Here page on the Wellington City Council website
If you have any questions, contact the hiring manager who is advertising the vacancy above, or email our recruitment team: