As a result of the Council Long Term Plan 2012 decisions, our programmes have been reviewed. Programmes with lower attendance could no longer be sustained but this decision was not made lightly. Also considered was the best possible schedule to maximise opportunities for customers to attend programmes in each local community area.
Part of the consideration was whether customers would still be able to have access to services we offer now, although there may be changes to the frequency or how the service operates.
- One children's programme only each weekday at Karori.
- Cummings Park Baby RocknRhyme will now be on Tuesday at 10.30 starting 2nd October. Pre-school Storytimes will be on Wednesday at 10.30.
- Holiday programmes at Brooklyn and Island Bay will cease but be retained at Kilbirnie, and Central; they will also be held at Karori or Cummings Park, Johnsonville or Tawa, and Newtown or Miramar.
- Adult book clubs and Tea and Tales will be self-managed.
- Johnsonville Pre-school Storytimes on Monday will cease but be retained on Tuesday.
- Wadestown Pre-school Storytimes will cease.
- Central library Stories at Seven and Saturday Pre-school Storytime will cease
Need a new bag for all your books & DVDs?
We have a new practical and colourful carry bag for kids - big enough to fit books, comics, DVDs - or swimming togs for that day at the beach. Each bag comes with a handy pocket for your library card, plus they close easily with a Velcro fastening strip.
These bags are already very popular, and are available at any library branch at a cost of $5 each.
Whispers in the Wind - A fabulous WCL CD with Wellington authors!
In a first of its kind, a group of local authors have come together to record a collection of children's stories on CD, with a distinctly Wellington flavour.
The CD features 10 Wellington children's authors, many of whom have been recorded for the first time: Joy Cowley, Janice Marriott, Fleur Beale, Rachel Hayward, Barbara Else, Barbara Murison, Kevin Boon, Philippa Werry, Denis Wright and Ali Middleton.
Generously sponsored by Creative New Zealand, this CD allows Wellington children's authors to create a closer connection to children, and for children to hear local authors telling or reading their own stories, which deepens their experience of the story.
Whispers in the Wind is now available to borrow at any branch library and is also available there for purchase. For online orders:
- CDs cost $9.50 each (plus $2 postage & packaging within NZ, or $5 if overseas)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your order (please include your billing address so we can provide an invoice)
This CD was recorded at Life of Riley Studio, Korokoro.
New 'Select: Sound & Vision' collection
Get the latest CDs & DVDs faster! The 'Select' collection is designed to make it easier to borrow the heavily used and reserved items in our audiovisual collections. The titles in this collection have a reduced loan period of 3 days, meaning you can access the most popular CDs and DVDs faster for the same price and find them on the shelf more often. Just look for this sticker:
The small print:
- Loan prices and overdue fines for items within the 'Select' collection are the same as the ordinary collection..
- The 'Hire-3-get-one-free' discount does not apply to titles within this collection.
- You cannot reserve or renew any items in the collection.
Get more for less with library concession cards!
Are you a regular user of the Bestsellers collection, or do you frequently reserve library items or borrow magazines?
Concession cards are now available for purchase at your nearest branch: see our Concession Card page for full details.
Enjoy Baby Rock & Rhyme at home - with our new CD
This new CD is a great gift for the young ones in your family, as it's a quality production of 33 songs to share with babies and children under 5. It includes traditional songs, nursery rhymes and waiata - all your favourites. It was recorded and produced by Wellington City Libraries and features the musical talents of library staff along with some very special guest singers from Capital City Pre-school.
The CD is available for sale for $15 at all our libraries.
Central Library audiotours
Borrow a free audio tour to help you find your way around the Central Library and our collection - it's easy! The self-guided audio tours are available at the Information Desk on the Ground Floor. We have the tour on MP3 players you can borrow and it will soon be downloadable from our library website, for listening whenever you want. To see which areas of the library are covered, here are the maps showing the tour spots: ground floor | first floor | second floor