Ngā Momo Mematanga Membership Types
On this page
- How do I join the library?
- Accessibility & services for customers with disabilities
What you can borrow, how long you can borrow it for, and how much it costs
- Overdues, lost items & payments
- What's on at our libraries
Wondering if you can join the library? We have joining options available for all New Zealand residents — even if you don't live in the Wellington ratepaying area.
You can get a free adult membership if you are:
- Over 18 and living in Wellington, or
- You pay rates on a property in Wellington
Joining is free, but borrowing charges apply for some items.
If you are physically unable to visit a library, you can still join and use our Housebound delivery service. Our Housebound Team can visit and help you complete the joining process.
Talking book borrowers
We offer a range of talking books, CDs, and DVDs. If you have a disability which prevents you from using printed material (vision impairment, dyslexia), you can become a Talking Book borrower and use AV material for free.
Kids and teens
Under 18? You can get a free membership if you are:
- Living in Wellington
- Attending school in Wellington (see Studying in Wellington below), or
- Your parent or guardian pays rates on a property in Wellington
A parent or guardian will need to enrol you and sign the membership form. If you are 16 or 17 and living independently you can sign on your own behalf.
A youth membership enables you to:
- Place reserves on items free of charge — you can have up to 10 reserves on your card at one time
- Borrow most items free of charge. Youth DVDs cost 80c to borrow, and borrowing charges for (charged) items from the adult collection still apply
If you work or study in Wellington
If you live out of town but work or study in Wellington city, you may still be able to join the library for free.
Studying in Wellington
You can join the library for free if you are enrolled with one of the following, based in Wellington City:
- An early childhood centre
- A primary or secondary school
- A university or other NZQA approved tertiary institution
This membership gives you the same advantages as Wellington residents of the same age.
When you come to register, as well as valid ID and proof of address, please bring something in writing which shows you are a student of the institution you qualify under, e.g. letter, student ID card.
This is an annual membership but it can be easily renewed by an up-to-date proof of student membership by a NZQA approved organisation in Wellington City.
Working in Wellington
You can join the library for free if you work in Wellington:
- This membership gives you the same advantages as an adult membership
- When you come to register, as well as valid photo ID and proof of address, please bring something in writing which shows you are an employee of an organisation in Wellington City, e.g. letter, pay slip
- This is an annual membership but it can be easily renewed by an up-to-date proof of employment by a Wellington organisation
If you have a child enrolled in a daycare facility in Wellington, they also qualify for free membership (see Studying in Wellington above).
Schools & Early Childhood Centres
Any school or early childhood centre located in Wellington city can apply for a school membership.
- This is designed to suit the needs of schools and early childhood centres — it gives a range of benefits and terms and conditions that differ from a regular Adult or Wellington Organisation membership
- This membership type can be used by teachers in conjunction with class visits to the library, or for borrowing resources from the library collection for use within the classroom
To apply for this membership, the school or centre will need to supply a letter along with the library application form.
Please visit the School Membership information page for further details.
Organisations (Agent card)
Wellington organisations can join as a corporate library members. Small businesses may choose to take up this option to enable staff to gain access to work-related books and magazines held by the library.
- One library card is issued to the organisation
- Agent cards incur all normal adult library charges
Please note: Most of the online resources the library subscribes to are restricted to personal use only and are not available for corporate use in this situation.
If you live outside of Wellington
If you don't live, work or study in Wellington (see options above) you can still join our library, as long as:
- You are resident elsewhere in New Zealand
- You can visit one of our libraries in person to complete the joining process
There are two membership options — depending on usage levels.
Out of Towner
- Free membership — no joining fee
- A $2 per item charge (plus normal lending fees) on all physical items borrowed
Please note: The $2 per item charge is on top of any normal lending fee.
E.g. it would cost $3 to borrow a CD — normal lending fee of $1, + the standard Out of Towner Charge of $2 per item = $3
This would be the option to choose if you only wish to borrow occasionally.
- A membership subscription of $100 per annum
- No extra per item charge
- Normal lending fees still apply, as they do for regular library members
This entitles you to the same access as above. As there are no additional lending fees, it may be cheaper if you wish to borrow frequently.
Please note: only fully registered library members (who have visited a branch in person to complete the joining process) are able to access our eLibrary collection — audiobooks, eBooks and online articles and newspapers.