Ngā rauemi mā ngā kaikōrero Ruhiana Resources for Russian speakers
Wellington City Libraries has Magazines, Books, DVDs and Music CDs in Russian, as well as many useful resources for people learning English.
MagazinesThe Russian magazine Ogonek is held at Central Library on the First Floor, to the left of the stairs, in the Arts, Music & Literature area. Karori and Tawa libraries have copies of Rabonitsa and Liza magazines. The Russian-New Zealand Newspapers and Magazines magazine is also held at Central, Tawa and Karori Libraries. You may read magazines in the Library, or borrow lending copies for one week with your Library Card.
We do not hold any Russian newspapers, but all libraries provide free Internet access to:
- BBC (in Russian)
- Moscow Times (in English)
- St Petersburg Times (in English)
- Pravda (in Russian and English)
- ÐÐÐ¡ÐÐÐÐ¡ÐÐÐ ÐÐÐÐ¡ÐÐÐÐÐÐ¦ (in Russian)
- ÐÐµÐ·Ð°Ð²Ð¸ÑÐ¸Ð¼Ð°Ñ Ð³Ð°Ð·ÐµÑÐ° (in Russian)
- ÐÐ¾Ð¼ÑÐ¾Ð¼Ð¾Ð»ÑÑÐºÐ°Ñ Ð¿ÑÐ°Ð²Ð´Ð° (in Russian)
- ÐÑÐ³ÑÐ¼ÐµÐ½ÑÑ Ð¸ ÑÐ°ÐºÑÑ (in Russian)
PressDisplay provides free access to : Argumenty i Fakty, Cultura, EX Libris NG, Itogy, Izvestia, Kommersant, Komsomol'skaia Pravda, Moskovskiy Komsomolets, Literaturnaya Gazeta, Sport-Express, Zdorovye AIF.
Books in RussianBooks in Russian are held on the First Floor of the Central Library, to the left of the stairs, near the Arts, Music & Literature Enquiries Desk. You may read these books in the Library, or borrow them for 3 weeks with your Library Card.
DVDs and Music CDsCDs and DVDs may be borrowed for 1 week with your Library Card. A borrowing fee is charged for Sound & Vision materials.
We have some Russian language DVDs and many other DVDs have subtitles in Russian.
Music CDs are on the Ground Floor of Central Library, in the Sound & Vision Centre. Look for the World Music: Russia section.
Russian album by Anna Netrebko.
Focus on IELTS by Susan O'Connell.
In our collection we have:
- Books, tapes, videos, CDs and CD-ROMs to help you learn English
- Grammar, vocabulary books and dictionaries
- Items to help you take IELTS and TOEFL tests
- Books about living in New Zealand, including cooking, parenting and health
- Stories to enjoy.
These items are available in the Adult Learning Collection, the main collection at 420.7 and 428.24, and the Central Sound & Vision Centre. There are Adult Learning collections at Central, Newtown, Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie), Johnsonville, Miramar and Karori Libraries.
All of these items are FREE to borrow and are issued for 3 weeks. You can borrow as many items as you like.
For more information, visit our English as a Second Language pathfinder.
Books in EnglishOur fiction collection is shelved alphabetically by author surname. We have many Russian novels translated into English.
Most books can be borrowed for 3 weeks. Our books are organised by a numbering system and the same system is used at all branches. For example, The Road Code for car, motor cycle and truck driver's licenses is shelved at 343.0946 DON. There are copies at all Libraries and they can be borrowed for 1 week. If no copies are currently available, you can reserve one with your Library Card.
Here are some subjects you may find useful:
- 004-006: Computing
- 428: learning English
- 491.7: Russian-English dictionaries
- 500s: science, the universe, plants and animals
- 629: Car maintenance (car manuals for particular makes of car are at Central on the first floor)
- 643, 690-649: home maintenance
- 650s: information on working in New Zealand
- 700s: art, calligraphy, music, movies & entertainment
- 800s: literature, including poetry, plays, essays and letters (Russian literature is at 891.7)
- 900s: countries, travel and history, including Russian history (947) and travel (914.7, 915.7), and New Zealand history (993.1) and travel (919.31).
Picturing Russia :
Valerie A. Kivelson,
The Russian house :
architecture & interiors
Andreas von Einsiedel.
Mstislav Rostropovich :
cellist, teacher, legend,
Soviet image : ...
from inside the TASS archives,
Please ask us if you need help finding anything you need.