Te mino Borrowing
On this page:
On this page you'll find what you can borrow, how long you can borrow it for, and how much it costs.
Loan periods & charges
|Loan period||Adult card||Children & Teen cards||Out of Towner cards||with Leisure Card discount|
|Bestseller Collection Books||10 days||$5||$5||$7||$5|
|Children and Teen Magazines||1 week||50c||Free||$2.50||50c for Adults, Free for Children|
|Select Collection CDs||3 days||$1||$1||$3||50c|
|Children and Teen DVDs||1 week||$4||80c||$6||$2 for Adults, 40c for Children|
|Select collection DVDs||3 days||$4||$4||$6||$2|
|Boxset DVDs||3 weeks||$8||$8||$10||$4|
|Children and Teens Boxed DVDs||3 weeks||$8||80c||$10||$4 for Adults, 40c for Children|
|Kits (Cassettes or CDs)||4 weeks||$1||$1||$3||50c|
|Children and Teen Kits||4 weeks||$1||Free||$3||50c for Adults, Free for Children|
|Audiobooks on CD||4 weeks||Free||Free||$2||Free|
|Children and Teen Audiobooks on CD||4 weeks||Free||Free||$2||Free|
|CD Language Kits||4 weeks||$3||$3||$5||$1.50|
|Māori & English
Language Learning AV
- Māori & English Language Learning AV includes CDs, CD-ROMs, Cassettes, Kits and all of the the Adult Learning collection.
- A boxset DVD is defined as more than 300 viewing minutes.
Bestseller Books collection
Our Bestseller Books collection is the no-wait way to borrow the latest popular books. Our Bestseller Book collection is:
- A collection of extra copies of very popular books.
- Bestseller books are $5 to borrow for 10 days.
- They can't be reserved -- so there's no queue.
- Because they're only loaned out a week at a time, they're often available and on the shelf when you visit us.
- The same titles are available for free in the main collection, but there may be a reserve queue, and you may have to wait -- especially if a book is very popular.
Bestseller concession cards are available.
Select A/V collection
Our Select A/V collection is designed to make it easier to borrow heavily used and reserved audiovisual material. The titles in this collection:
- Have a reduced loan period of 3 days, meaning you can access the most popular CDs and DVDs faster for the same price and find them on the shelf more often.
- Cannot be reserved - so are more immediately available.
Look for the logo on the right to identify these items.
Leisure Card Holders
You can qualify for the card if you are a Wellington city resident (you live or pay rates in Wellington City) and if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
- You are a Community Services Card holder.
- You have a permanent disability.
- You are on the green prescription (GRx) scheme.
- You are a SuperGold Card holder.
- You are a Wellington City Council Housing tenant.
- You arrived in New Zealand in the last 12 months for the first time, and have a Residents Visa. Please note, you can only apply once under this category.
More information about applying for a Leisure Card.If you have a Leisure Card:
Visit the library, show your Leisure Card to our staff, and staff will set your card to apply these discounts automatically (see table above)
Please note: Some of the qualifying criteria you will need to confirm on a yearly basis - discount status on your library card will be set to expire yearly, until you bring in your new Leisure Card.
Super Gold Card Holders
If you are a Super Gold Card holder and you live or pay rates in Wellington City, all you need to do to apply the Leisure Card discount to your library card, is to visit the library with your Super Gold Card.
The discount will then be applied to your card permanently (you don't need to apply for a Leisure Card to get the library discount, if you're not interested in doing so).
Is there a limit on how many items I can borrow?
Yes. You can have up to 150 items issued at any time and up to 100 items on reserve. This is to address Wellington City Libraries' customers' demand.
We can send you automatic reminder emails both before and 5 days after your items are due. To make email your preferred notification method, fill out our email notices request form.
If a notification bounces back, we will contact you via our automated phone system or by post.
Inter-library Return Fees
Due to the closure of the Central Library, items borrowed from our libraries can be returned at any branch without incurring an inter-library return fee. Returning items to the library you borrowed them from means they are back on the shelves sooner, for others to borrow. It means we can provide a more efficient service so that you get the most out of our libraries.
You can renew your item(s) for one more loan period (for example 3 weeks for books, 1 week for CDs & DVDs) from the original due date, unless it has been reserved by another customer.
Only 1 renewal per item is possible, and this can be done when you check your card online, or by asking a librarian for help in our libraries.
Please note that if the item being renewed had a rental fee when first loaned (e.g. CDs & DVDs), an additional rental fee will be charged to you when you renew it. If the item being renewed did not have a rental fee when first loaned (eg books), then the renewal is free.
Reserves, Interloans & Suggestions To Buy
Follow the links below to find out about how to:
- Reserve an Item that is out
- Request an Interloan
- Or make a 'Suggestion to Buy' for an item the library does not have.
Are you a regular borrower from our libraries or do you frequently reserve library items?
Library Concession Cards are available for purchase at your nearest branch and are ideal for customers who borrow selected items regularly.
The cards are valid for one year from the purchase date and are available from your local library (note the Bestsellers concession cards are only available at branches with Bestsellers collections). Community Services and Leisure Card discounts do not apply.
Save yourself time and money - or gift them to other library lovers!
|Bestsellers Books||$25.00 for six issues, including one issue free|
|Boxed Set DVDs||$40.00 for six issues, including one free|
|CDs||$20.00 for 24 issues, including four free|
|DVDs||$40.00 for twelve issues, including two free|
|Children & Young Adults' DVDs||$16.00 for 24 issues, including four free|
|Magazines||$10.00 for 24 issues, including four free|
Have a question? Get in touch
Search our Catalogue and check whether an item is on our shelves before you come into the library.