Ngā rauemi Hainamana mā ngā pakeke Chinese resources for adults
Focus on IELTS by Susan O'Connell.
- Books, tapes, videos, CDs and CD-ROMs to help you learn English
- Grammar, vocabulary books and dictionaries
- Items to help you take IELTS and TOEFL tests
- Books about living in New Zealand, including cooking, parenting and health
- Stories to enjoy.
These items are available in the Adult Learning Collection (Adult Learning Collection), the main collection at 420.7 and 428.24, and the Central Sound & Vision Centre. There are Adult Learning collections at Central, Newtown, Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie), Johnsonville, Miramar and Karori libraries.
All of these items are FREE to borrow and are issued for 3 weeks. You can borrow as many items as you like.
For more information, visit our English as a Second Language subject guide.
Several Chinese language newspapers are accessible online for free using the 'free internet computers' at all libraries.
Press Display contains uptodate copies of many Chinese newspapers including China Daily, China Digest, Qjanjiang Evening News, Shanghai Daily, South China Morning Post, and Zhejiang Daily. You will need your library card to use.
Printed newspapers must be read in the library - they cannot be borrowed.
The Central Library has Oriental Times and New Times Weekly. Some of the following newspapers are available at Cummings Park (Ngaio), Johnsonville, Newtown, Island Bay, Karori, Kilbirnie and Miramar libraries:
- Home Voice
- NZ Chinese Times
Chinese magazines are located on the First Floor of Central Library, to the left of the stairs, in the Arts, Music & Literature area. You may read magazines in the library, or borrow lending copies for one week with your Library Card. Magazines include:
- Ming Pao Monthly
- Reader's Digest (also available at Karori, Johnsonville and Newtown)
- Taiwan Panorama
- Beijing Review (in English)
Books in Chinese (traditional script) are mainly held on the First Floor of the Central Library, to the left of the stairs, near the Arts, Music & Literature Enquiries Desk (Art, Music & Literature). Quick search here.
You may read these books in the Library, or borrow them for 3 weeks with your Library Card.
Johnsonville and Newtown Libraries have a small selection of books in Chinese.
DVDs and Music CDs
CDs and DVDs may be borrowed for 1 week with your Library Card. A borrowing fee is charged for Sound & Vision materials.
Music CDs are on the Ground Floor of Central Library, in the Sound & Vision Centre. Look for the World Music: China section.
There are also a number of Chinese films on DVD.
Books in English
Our fiction collection is shelved alphabetically by author surname. We have many Chinese novels translated into English.
Most books can be borrowed for 3 weeks. Our books are shelved by numbers. For example, The Road Code for car, motor cycle and truck driver's licenses is shelved at 343.0946 DON. If no copies are currently available, you can reserve one with your Library Card.
Some useful subjects:
- 428: learning English
- 495.13: Chinese-English dictionaries
- 500s: science, astronomy, plants, trees and animals
- 640-649: home care, sewing for the home, children's & adults' clothing, cooking and parenting
- 650s: information on working in New Zealand
- 700s: art, calligraphy, music, movies & entertainment
- 800s: literature, including poetry, plays, essays and letters
- 900s: countries, travel and history, including Chinese history and geography (951) and New Zealand travel (919.31)
Please ask us if you need help finding anything you need.
Blue eye dragon:
The city trilogy,
Orphan of Asia,