Ngā rauemi mā ngā kaikōrero Piripino Resources for Tagalog speakers
Wellington City Libraries has books in Tagalog, as well as many useful resources for people learning English.
Focus on IELTS by Susan O'Connell.
In our collection we have:
- Books, tapes, videos, CDs and CD-ROMs to help you learn English
- Grammar, vocabulary books and dictionaries
- Items to help you take IELTS and TOEFL tests
- Books about living in New Zealand, including cooking, parenting and health
- Stories to enjoy.
These items are available in the Adult Learning Collection, the main collection at 420.7 and 428.24, and the Sound & Vision Centre. There are Adult Learning collections at Newtown, Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie), Johnsonville, Miramar and Karori Libraries.
All of these items are FREE to borrow and are issued for 3 weeks. You can borrow as many items as you like.
For more information, visit our English as a Second Language pathfinder.
Philstar and INQ7 Network (both in English) are accessible online using the 'free internet computers'.
Books in TagalogBooks in Tagalog are held on the First Floor of the Central Library, to the left of the stairs, near the Art, Music & Literature Enquiries Desk. You may read these books in the Library or borrow them for 3 weeks with your Library Card. Titles include Pusong nagbabalatkayo (shelved at 899.2113 OLV).
A small number of children's books in English and Tagalog are available. For example Ang Kuwento ng kalendaryong tsina (shelved at 499.21866 CHA) is available at Central and Karori Libraries.
Traditional music from the Philippines
by Fiesta Filipina Dance Troupe.
DVDs and Music CDsCDs and DVDs may be borrowed for 1 week with your Library Card. A borrowing fee is charged for Sound & Vision materials.
Music CDs are on the Ground Floor of Central Library, in the Sound & Vision Centre. Look for the World Music: Philippines section.
Books in EnglishMost books can be borrowed for 3 weeks. Our books are organised by a numbering system and the same system is used at all branches. For example, The Road Code for car, motor cycle and truck driver's licenses is shelved at 343.0946 DON. There are copies at all Libraries and they can be borrowed for 1 week. If no copies are currently available, you can reserve one with your Library Card.
Here are some subjects you may find useful:
- 428: learning English
- 499.211: Learn Tagalog
- 500s: science, the universe, plants and animals
- 640-649: home care, sewing for the home, children's & adults' clothing, cooking and parenting
- 650s: information on working in New Zealand
- 700s: art, music, movies & entertainment
- 800s: literature, including poetry, plays, essays and letters (French literature is in the 840s)
- 900s: countries, travel and history, including travel to the Philippines (915.99) and New Zealand history (993.1) and travel (919.31).
Philippines (Lonely Planet).
Filipino style, text by Rene Javellana,
Fernando Nakpil Zialcita, Elizabeth V. Reyes.
Wisdom from a rainforest :
the spiritual journey of an anthropologist,
by Stuart A. Schlegel.
Dusk: a novel, by F. Sionil Jose.
Please ask us if you need help finding anything you need.