Ngā rauemi Homari mā ngā pakeke Somali resources for adults
Wellington City Libraries has Newspapers, Magazines, Books and Music CDs in Somali, as well as many useful books for people learning English.
Focus on IELTS by Susan O'Connell.
In our collection we have:
- Books, tapes, videos, CDs and CD-ROMs to help you learn English
- Grammar, vocabulary books and dictionaries
- Items to help you take IELTS and TOEFL tests
- Books about living in New Zealand, including cooking, parenting and health
- Stories to enjoy.
These items are available in the Adult Learning Collection, the main collection at 420.7 and 428.24, and the Central Sound & Vision Centre. There are Adult Learning collections at Central, Newtown, Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie), Johnsonville, Miramar and Karori Libraries.
All of these items are FREE to borrow and are issued for 3 weeks. You can borrow as many items as you like.
For more information, visit our English as a Second Language subject guide.
NewspapersSeveral Somali language newspapers are accessible online for free using the 'free internet computers' at all libraries.
MagazinesHaboon : the first Somali magazine is held at Central (First Floor, to the left of the stairs), Miramar and Newtown libraries. You may read magazines in the Library, or borrow lending copies for one week with your Library Card.
BooksA small selection of Somali language children's books is available at Central and most branch libraries. You may read these books in the Library, or borrow them for 3 weeks with your Library Card. Ask a librarian where these are kept.
Most books can be borrowed for 3 weeks. Our books are organised by a numbering system and the same system is used at all branches. For example, The Road Code for car, motor cycle and truck driver's licenses is shelved at 343.0946 DON. There are copies at all Libraries and they can be borrowed for 1 week. If no copies are currently available, you can reserve one with your Library Card.
Here are some subjects you may find useful:
- 428: learning English
- 493.5: Somali-English dictionaries
- 500s: science, astronomy, plants and animals
- 640-649: home care, sewing for the home, children's & adults' clothing, cooking and parenting
- 650s: information on working in New Zealand
- 700s: art, calligraphy, music, movies & entertainment
- 800s: literature, including poetry, plays, essays and letters
- 900s: countries, travel and history, including Somali history (967.73) and New Zealand travel (919.31)
Desert flower : the extraordinary
life of a desert nomad by Waris Dirie.
Somalia (Enchantment of the world)
by Mary Virginia Fox.
Gifts by Nuruddin Farah.
Please ask us if you need help finding anything you need.