Ngā rauemi Hāmoa mā ngā pakeke Samoan resources for adults
Wellington City Libraries has Newspapers, Magazines, Books and Music CDs in Samoan, as well as many useful books for Pacific people.
The Central Library has a wide selection of newspapers from around New Zealand. Newspapers cannot be borrowed - they must be read in the library.
Pacific magazines are located on the First Floor of Central Library, near the escalators. You may read magazines in the Library, or borrow lending copies for one week with your Library Card. Magazines which may be of interest to the Samoan (and wider Pacific) community include:
- Islands Business
- Spacifik (also at Newtown and Kilbirnie)
There are books on many subjects (in both Samoan and English), such as:
- Samoan History and Culture
- Children's books in Samoan. We have a small selection of these available at Central and most branch libraries. You may read these books in the Library, or borrow them for 3 weeks with your Library Card.
Books in English
Most books can be borrowed for 3 weeks. Our books are organised by a numbering system and the same system is used at all branches. For example, The Road Code for car, motor cycle and truck driver's licenses is shelved at 343.0946 DON. There are copies at all Libraries and they can be borrowed for 1 week. If no copies are currently available, you can reserve one with your Library Card.
Here are some subjects you may find useful:
- 428: learning English
- 499.4: Samoan grammar and dictionaries
- 640-649: home care, sewing for the home, children's & adults' clothing, cooking and parenting
- 650s: information on working in New Zealand
- 500s: Science, astronomy, plants, trees and animals
- 700s: art, craft & music, tapa, movies & entertainment
- 900s: countries, travel and history, including Samoan history (996.1) and geography & travel (919.6) and New Zealand travel (919.31).
Gagana Samoa : a Samoan
language coursebook by Afeleti L. Hunkin.
Tattoo road trip : two weeks
in Samoa text by Bob Baxter ;
photographs by Bernard Clark.
Samoa by Dorinda Talbot
& Deanna Swaney.
Traditional tapa textiles of the Pacific by Roger Neich and Mick Pendergrast.
DVDs and music CDsCDs and DVDs may be borrowed for 1 week with your Library Card. A borrowing fee is charged for Sound & Vision materials.
Music CDs are on the Ground Floor of Central Library, in the Sound & Vision Centre. Look for the World Music: Samoa and World Music: Pacific sections. Newtown branch library has a selection of Pacific music CDs, including CDs by artists such as Pacific Soul, Marina and Jamoa Jam. We also have traditional Samoan music CDs by people like Evaeva.
Improving your English
Focus on IELTS by Susan O'Connell.
In our collection we have:
- Books about living in New Zealand, including cooking, parenting and health
- Stories to enjoy.
These items are available in the Adult Learning Collection, the main collection at 420.7 and 428.24, and the Central Sound & Vision Centre. There are Adult Learning collections at Central, Newtown, Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie), Johnsonville, Miramar and Karori Libraries.
All of these items are FREE to borrow and are issued for 3 weeks. You can borrow as many items as you like.
For more information, visit our English as a Second Language subject guide.
Please ask us if you need help finding anything you need.