Ngā rauemi Hapanihi mā ngā pakeke Japanese resources for adults
Wellington City Libraries has Newspapers, Magazines, Books and Music CDs in Chinese, as well as many useful resources for people learning English.
Focus on IELTS by Susan O'Connell.
These items are available in the Adult Learning Collection, the main collection at 420.7 and 428.24, and the Central Sound & Vision Centre. There are Adult Learning collections at Central, Newtown, Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie), Johnsonville, Miramar and Karori Libraries.
All of these items are FREE to borrow and are issued for 3 weeks. You can borrow as many items as you like.
For more information, visit our English as a Second Language pathfinder.
NewspapersJapanese newspapers are accessible online for free using the 'free internet computers' at all libraries. They are
- Japan Times (Tokyo) weekly news round up in English
- Yomiuri (Tokyo) in English
- Mainichi (in Japanese)
MagazinesJapanese magazines are located on the First Floor of Central Library, to the left of the stairs, in the Arts, Music & Literature area. You may read magazines in the Library, or borrow lending copies for one week with your Library Card. Our magazines include:
- Nipponia : discovering Japan (English and Japanese)
- Gaiko forum : Japanese perspectives on foreign affairs (in English)
- Japan architect (English and Japanese)
Books in JapaneseBooks in Japanese are held on the First Floor of the Central Library, to the left of the stairs, near the Arts, Music & Literature Enquiries Desk. You may read these books in the Library, or borrow them for 3 weeks with your Library Card. There are a range of titles, which include both fiction and non-fiction such as:
- Wairudo suwan, by Jung Chang.
- Sutekina origami, by Kazuo
- Kosumetikku, by Mariko Hayashi.
- Osu mesu, Mangetsu Hanamura.
DVDs and Music CDsCDs and DVDs may be borrowed for 1 week with your Library Card. A borrowing fee is charged for Sound & Vision materials.
|Music CDs are on the Ground Floor of Central Library, in the Sound & Vision Centre.|
Look for the World Music: Japan section.
Rough guide to the music of Japan
|There are also a number of DVDs connected to Japan.|
Books in EnglishOur books are organised by a numbering system and the same system is used at all branches. For example, The Road Code for car, motor cycle and truck driver's licenses is shelved at 343.0946 DON. There are copies at all Libraries and they can be borrowed for 3 weeks. If no copies are currently available, you can reserve one with your Library Card.
Here are some subjects you may find useful:
- 428: learning English
- 495.63: Japanese-English dictionaries
- 500s: science, astronomy, plants, trees and animals
- 640-649: home care, sewing for the home, children's & adults' clothing, cooking and parenting
- 650s: information on working in New Zealand
- 700s: art origami, music, movies & entertainment
- 800s: literature, including poetry, plays, essays and letters
- 900s: countries, travel and history, including Japanese history and geography (952) and New Zealand travel (919.31)
|Japanese cooking : the traditions, techniques, ingredients and recipes, by Emi Kazuko ; with recipes by Yasuko Fukuoka.||Graphic Japan : from woodblock and zen to manga and kawaii, by Natalie Avella.||Omiyage : handmade gifts from fabric in the Japanese tradition, by Kumiko Sudo.||Kenzo, by Ginette Sainderichin.|
Please ask us if you need help finding anything you need.