Ngā rauemi mā ngā kaikōrero Hīni Resources for Hindi speakers
Wellington City Libraries has Books, DVDs and Music CDs in Hindi, as well as many useful resources for people learning English.
Focus on IELTS by Susan O'Connell.
In our collection we have:
- Books, tapes, videos, CDs and CD-ROMs to help you learn English
- Grammar, vocabulary books and dictionaries
- Items to help you take IELTS and TOEFL tests
- Books about living in New Zealand, including cooking, parenting and health
- Stories to enjoy.
These items are available in the Adult Learning Collection, the main collection at 420.7 and 428.24, and the Central Sound & Vision Centre. There are Adult Learning collections at Central, Newtown, Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie), Johnsonville, Miramar and Karori Libraries.
All of these items are FREE to borrow and are issued for 3 weeks. You can borrow as many items as you like.
For more information, visit our English as a Second Language pathfinder.
NewspapersAll libraries provide free Internet access to The Times of India and The Hindu.
Kuk Hindi Samchar is held at Central, Johnsonville and Newtown Libraries.
Books in HindiBooks in Hindi are held on the First Floor of the Central Library, to the left of the stairs, near the Arts, Music & Literature Enquiries Desk. These are mainly fiction, with a small number of poetry and history titles. You may read these books in the Library, or borrow them for 3 weeks with your Library Card.
Titles include Virata ki Padmini by Vrindavan Lal Verma (891.433 VER), Srimad bhagavad gita : Samskrta, Hindi evam Angrezi (294.5924 BHA), Bela phoole aadhee raat by Davendra Satyarthi (Indian folksongs, 788.93 SAT), and Chalo chalen us paar by Amarjit Kaur (poetry, 891.431 KAU).
DVDs and Music CDsCDs and DVDs may be borrowed for 1 week with your Library Card. A borrowing fee is charged for Sound & Vision materials.
Music CDs are on the Ground Floor of Central Library, in the Sound & Vision Centre. Look for the World Music: India section.
We also have a small number of Hindi films on DVD, and many English language DVDs have Hindi subtitles. Click here for a full list.
Rough guide to Bollywood legends :
Books in EnglishMost books can be borrowed for 3 weeks. Our books are organised by a numbering system and the same system is used at all branches. For example, The Road Code for car, motor cycle and truck driver's licenses is shelved at 343.0946 DON. There are copies at all Libraries and they can be borrowed for 1 week. If no copies are currently available, you can reserve one with your Library Card.
Here are some subjects you may find useful:
- 294.5: Hinduism
- 428: learning English
- 491.433: Hindi-English dictionaries
- 500s: science, the universe, plants and animals
- 640-649: home care, sewing for the home, children's & adults' clothing, Indian cooking (641.5954) and parenting
- 650s: information on working in New Zealand
- 700s: art, calligraphy, music, movies & entertainment
- 800s: literature, including poetry, plays, essays and letters, and Indian literature in English (891.4)
- 900s: countries, travel and history, including Indian history and geography (954), Indian travel (915.4) and New Zealand travel (919.31)
Indian Jewellery :
the V & A collection
Bollywood : a guidebook
to popular Hindi cinema
by Tejaswini Ganti.
Indian settlers : the story of
a New Zealand South Asian community,
A new history of India
by Stanley Wolpert.
Please ask us if you need help finding anything you need.