Ngā rauemi Kuharati mā ngā pakeke Gujarati Resources for adults
Wellington City Libraries have small collections in the Gujarati language, which may be of particular interest to the Indian community.
Paper copies of these newspapers are not available in the libraries - the internet version is up to date.
We subscribe to the weekly magazine Chitralekha, available at Kilbirnie and Newtown libraries. You may read magazines in the Library, or borrow lending copies for one week with your Library Card. This magazine can be borrowed free of charge.
Books in GujaratiWellington Central Library is looking at expanding its collection in Gujarati for adults. We would be very keen to consider your Suggestion to buy.
Note that there is a good collection of children's fiction in the Gujarati language in the Central library (Ground Floor) as well as in branch libraries. For example Mahabharata and Ramayana is at the Newtown Branch Library at 491.471.
Books in EnglishMost books can be borrowed for 3 weeks. Our books are organised by a numbering system and the same system is used at all branches. For example, The Road Code for car, motor cycle and truck driver's licenses is shelved at 343.0946 DON. There are copies at all Libraries and they can be borrowed for 1 week. If no copies are currently available, you can reserve one with your Library Card.
Here are some subjects you may find useful:
- 005: Computers
- 294.5: Hinduism
- 428: learning English
- 491.471: Gujarati-English language books and dictionary
- 640-649: home care, sewing for the home, children's & adults' clothing, cooking (Indian cooking is 641.5954) and parenting
- 650s: information on working in New Zealand
- 500s: science, astronomy, plants, trees and animals
- 613-616: health, including diabetes, arthritis, blood pressure
- 635: gardening
- 700s: art, craft & music, dance, movies & entertainment
- 800s: literature of many countries. This includes poetry, plays, etc. The world reknown Indian poet Rabindranath Tagore's work , is available at 891.441.
- 900s: countries, travel and history, including Indian history (954) and geography & travel (915.414)
India : decoration, interiors, design,
by Henry Wilson.
The Bollywood saga : Indian cinema
by Dinesh Raheja and Jitendra Kothari.
The art and architecture
of the Indian subcontinent, by J.C. Harle.
DVDs and Music CDsCDs and DVDs may be borrowed for 1 week with your Library Card. A borrowing fee is charged for Sound & Vision materials.
Music CDs are on the Ground Floor of the Central Library, in the Sound & Vision Centre. Look for the World Music: India section.
From dusk to dawn : the raga collection
by Ravi Shankar.
Sampradaya, by Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma.
Focus on IELTS by Susan O'Connell.
In our collection we have:
- Books, tapes, videos, CDs and CD-ROMs to help you learn English
- Grammar, vocabulary books and dictionaries
- Items to help you take IELTS and TOEFL tests
- Books about living in New Zealand, including cooking, parenting and health
- Stories to enjoy.
These items are available in the Adult Learning Collection, the main collection at 420.7 and 428.24, and the Central Sound & Vision Centre. There are Adult Learning collections at Central, Newtown, Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie), Johnsonville, Miramar and Karori Libraries.
All of these items are FREE to borrow and are issued for 3 weeks. You can borrow as many items as you like.
For more information, visit our English as a Second Language pathfinder.
Please ask us if you need help finding anything you need.