Ngā rauemi mā ngā kaikōrero Kariki Resources for Greek speakers
Wellington City Libraries has Magazines, Books, DVDs and Music CDs in Greek, as well as many useful resources for people learning English.
Newspapers & magazines
You may read magazines in the library or borrow copies for one week with your library card.
All libraries provide free Internet access to selected Greek newspapers.
BooksBooks in Greek, both classical and modern, are held on the First Floor of the Central Library, to the left of the stairs, near the Arts, Music & Literature Enquiries Desk. You may read these books in the Library, or borrow them for 3 weeks with your Library Card.
DVDs and Music CDsCDs and DVDs may be borrowed for 1 week with your Library Card. A borrowing fee is charged for Sound & Vision materials.
Music of the Greek islands
Focus on IELTS by Susan O'Connell.
In our collection we have:
- Books, tapes, videos, CDs and CD-ROMs to help you learn English
- Grammar, vocabulary books and dictionaries
- Items to help you take IELTS and TOEFL tests
- Books about living in New Zealand, including cooking, parenting and health
- Stories to enjoy.
These items are available in the Adult Learning Collection, the main collection at 420.7 and 428.24, and the Central Sound & Vision Centre. There are Adult Learning collections at Central, Newtown, Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie), Johnsonville, Miramar and Karori Libraries.
All of these items are FREE to borrow and are issued for 3 weeks. You can borrow as many items as you like.
For more information, visit our English as a Second Language subject guide.
Books in EnglishOur fiction collection is shelved alphabetically by author surname. We have several Greek novels translated into English and many novels set in Greece.
A distant shore
Most books can be borrowed for 3 weeks. Our books are organised by a numbering system and the same system is used at all branches. For example, The Road Code for car, motor cycle and truck driver's licenses is shelved at 343.0946 DON. There are copies at all Libraries and they can be borrowed for 1 week. If no copies are currently available, you can reserve one with your Library Card.
Here are some subjects you may find useful:
- 428: learning English
- 489: Greek-English dictionaries
- 500s: science, the universe, plants and animals
- 640-649: home care, home care, cooking and parenting (including Wellington publication Favourite Greek recipes compiled by Mercina Viatos, Koula Argus & Melpi Kondos)
- 650s: information on working in New Zealand
- 700s: art, calligraphy, music, movies & entertainment
- 800s: literature, including poetry, plays, essays and letters (classical literature is in the 880s)
- 900s: countries, travel and history, including Greek travel (914.95) and history (ancient 938, modern 949.5), and New Zealand travel (919.31) and history (993.1).
Greek cookery from the hellenic heart
Please ask us if you need help finding anything you need.