Ngā rauemi mā ngā kaikōrero Whītiana Resources for Fijian speakers
Wellington City Libraries have small collections in the Fijian language, which may be of particular interest to the Fijian community.
Paper copies of these newspapers are not available in the libraries - the internet version is up to date.
Books in Fijian
Wellington Central Library is looking at expanding its collection in Fijian for adults. We would be very keen to consider your Suggestion to buy.
Available at Central and Newtown libraries: Bula Vakavanua 306.089994 SER.
Note that there is a small collection of children's fiction in the Fijian language in the Central library (Ground Floor) as well as in branch libraries. For example:
- Na Wiliwili : counting numbers in Fijian and English
- Na Veiroka : colours in Fijian and English
- Matua Vosa : Fijian alphabet with English translations
(All of the above are available at Central, Johnsonville, Karori, Kilbirnie and Newtown Libraries.)
Books in English
Our books are organised by a numbering system and the same system is used at all branches. For example, The Road Code for car, motor cycle and truck driver's licenses is shelved at 343.0946 DON. There are copies at all Libraries and they can be borrowed for 1 week. If no copies are currently available, you can reserve one with your Library Card.
Here are some subjects you may find useful:
- 005: Computers
- 320.00 SEC Securing a peaceful Pacific
- 428: learning English
- 500s: science, astronomy, plants, trees and animals, (including 508.9611 RYA Fiji's natural heritage and 597.099 RAN Reef and shore fishes of the South Pacific
- 613-616: health, including diabetes, arthritis, blood pressure
- 635: gardening
- 640-649: home care, sewing for the home, children's & adults' clothing, cooking and parenting
- 650s: information on working in New Zealand
- 700s: art, craft & music, dance, movies & entertainment
- 800s: literature of many countries. This includes poetry, plays, etc.
- 900s: countries, travel and history, including Fijian history (954) and geography & travel (915.414) - Fijian Lonely Planet guidebook 919.611 FIJ
DVDs and Music CDs
The land has eyes / Pear ta ma 'on maf (e ganiti ira na uabula)
CDs and DVDs may be borrowed for 1 week with your Library Card. A borrowing fee is charged for Sound & Vision materials.
Music CDs are on the Ground Floor of the Central Library, in the Sound & Vision Centre. Look for the Music of the South Pacific section.. Vakaqara na i wasewase ni sere kei na i vakatagi mai na Ceva ni Wasa Pasifika (Music of the South Pacific).
- Kila kei na Voices of Nature, mai vei ratou na Black Rose (CD Fiji BLA)
- Greatest Hits, Daniel Rae Costello (CD Fiji COS)
- Ka La Mau Tapen (CD Fiji COS)
Focus on IELTS, Susan O'Connell
In our collection we have:
- Books, tapes, videos, CDs and CD-ROMs to help you learn English
- Grammar, vocabulary books and dictionaries
- Items to help you take IELTS and TOEFL tests
- Books about living in New Zealand, including cooking, parenting and health
- Stories to enjoy.
These items are available in the Adult Learning Collection (Adult Learning Collection), the main collection at 420.7 and 428.24, and the Central Sound & Vision Centre. There are Adult Learning collections at Central, Newtown, Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie), Johnsonville, Miramar kei Karori.
All of these items are FREE to borrow and are issued for 3 weeks. You can borrow as many items as you like. For more information, visit our English as a Second Language subject guide
Please ask us if you need help finding anything you need.