Ngā Rauemi Parahi/Perēhiana mā ngā pakeke Farsi/Persian Resources for adults
Wellington City Libraries has Books and Music CDs in Farsi/Persian, as well as many useful resources in English.
Focus on IELTS, Susan O'Connell.
In our collection we have:
- Books, tapes, videos, CDs and CD-ROMs to help you learn English
- Grammar, vocabulary books and dictionaries
- Items to help you take IELTS and TOEFL tests
- Books about living in New Zealand, including cooking, parenting and health
- Stories to enjoy.
These items are available in the Adult Learning Collection, the main collection at 420.7 and 428.24, and the Central Sound & Vision Centre. There are Adult Learning collections at Central, Newtown, Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie), Johnsonville, Miramar and Karori Libraries.
All of these items are FREE to borrow and are issued for 3 weeks. You can borrow as many items as you like.
For more information, visit our English as a Second Language pathfinder.
Emel: Muslim Lifestyle Magazine (in English) is available at the Central Library, on the First Floor, near the escalators. You may read magazines in the Library, or borrow lending copies for one week with your Library Card. A borrowing fee is charged for magazines.
NewspapersSome newspapers in Farsi/Persian are available on the free internet computers at all libraries.
DVDs and Music CDsCDs and DVDs may be borrowed for 1 week with your Library Card. A borrowing fee is charged for Sound & Vision materials.
Music CDs are on the Ground Floor of Central Library, in the Sound & Vision Centre. Look for the World Music: Iran section.
Celestial harmonies, Ostad Elahi.
Silk Road journeys : when
There are also a number of Farsi/Persian films on DVD.
We have a small collection of books in Persian - look for the 'Persian' section on the First Floor of Central Library, to the left of the stairs, near the Arts, Music & Literature Enquiries Desk. Most books can be borrowed for 3 weeks.
We also hold a small selection of bilingual picture books such as Samira's Eid and Dear Zoo (in both Persian and English) at the Central Library. Ask a librarian where you can find them in the library.
Our fiction collection is shelved alphabetically by author surname. We have some Farsi novels translated into English.
Our books in English are organised by a numbering system and the same system is used at all branches. For example, The Road Code for car, motor cycle and truck driver's licenses is shelved at 343.0946 DON. There are copies at all Libraries and they can be borrowed for 1 week. If no copies are currently available, you can reserve one with your Library Card.
Here are some subjects you may find useful:
- 428: learning English
- 491.55: Farsi/Persian-English dictionaries
- 500s: science, the universe, plants and animals
- 610-616: health
- 640-649: home care, sewing for the home, children's & adults' clothing, cooking and parenting
- 650s: information on working in New Zealand
- 700s: art, calligraphy, music, movies & entertainment
- 800s: literature, including poetry, plays, essays and letters
- 900s: countries, travel and history, including Iranian history (955), Iranian travel and geography (915.5) and New Zealand travel (919.31)
Persepolis: the story of
an Iranian childhood, Marjane Satrapi.
In the rose garden of the martyrs :
a memoir of Iran, Christopher de Bellaigue.
Reading Lolita in Tehran :
a memoir in books, Azar Nafisi.
Please ask us if you need help finding anything you need.