Ngā rauemi Hainamana mā ngā pakeke Chinese resources for adults
- Books, tapes, videos, CDs and CD-ROMs to help you learn English
- Grammar, vocabulary books and dictionaries
- Items to help you take IELTS and TOEFL tests
- Books about living in New Zealand, including cooking, parenting and health
- Stories to enjoy.
These items are available in the Adult Learning Collection, the main collection at 420.7 and 428.24, and the Central Sound & Vision Centre. There are Adult Learning collections at Central, Newtown, Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie), Johnsonville, Miramar and Karori libraries.
All of these items are FREE to borrow and are issued for 3 weeks. You can borrow as many items as you like.
For more information, visit our English as a Second Language subject guide.
NewspapersNewspapers must be read in the library - they cannot be borrowed.
The Central Library has Oriental Times and . Some of the following newspapers are available at Cummings Park (Ngaio), Johnsonville, Newtown, Island Bay, Karori and Miramar libraries:
Several Chinese language newspapers are accessible online for free using the 'free internet computers' at all libraries.
MagazinesChinese magazines are located on the First Floor of Central Library, to the left of the stairs, in the Arts, Music & Literature area. You may read magazines in the library, or borrow lending copies for one week with your Library Card. Magazines include:
- Reader's Digest
- Taiwan Panorama
- Ming Pao Monthly
Books in Chinese
Mu guang zhi cheng : xin yue ,
Mu guang zhi cheng ,
There is also a large collection of Fiction in Chinese. Johnsonville and Newtown Libraries have a small selection of books in Chinese.
DVDs and Music CDsCDs and DVDs may be borrowed for 1 week with your Library Card. A borrowing fee is charged for Sound & Vision materials.
Music CDs are on the Ground Floor of Central Library, in the Sound & Vision Centre. Look for the World Music: China section.
There are also a number of Chinese films on DVD.
Up the Yangtze .Winner, Best Doco, Film Festival Taipei, 2008.
Books in EnglishMost books can be borrowed for 3 weeks. Our books are shelved by numbers. For example, The Road Code for car, motor cycle and truck driver's licenses is shelved at 343.0946 DON. There are copies at all Libraries and they can be borrowed for 1 week. If no copies are currently available, you can reserve one with your Library Card.
Some useful subjects:
- 428: learning English
- 495.13: Chinese-English dictionaries
- 500s: science, astronomy, plants, trees and animals
- 640-649: home care, sewing for the home, children's & adults' clothing, cooking and parenting
- 650s: information on working in New Zealand
- 700s: art, calligraphy, music, movies & entertainment
- 800s: literature, including poetry, plays, essays and letters
- 900s: countries, travel and history, including Chinese history and geography (951) and New Zealand travel (919.31)
New China, new art = Zhongguo dang dai yi shu,
Total health the Chinese way : an essential guide ...,
Feathered serpent : a novel ,
Twentieth-century Chinese women's poetry : an anthology,
ed. Julia C. Lin.
Please ask us if you need help finding anything you need.