Ngā rauemi Arapiki mā ngā pakeke Arabic resources for adults
Wellington City Libraries has Magazines, Books and Music CDs in Arabic, as well as many useful resources for people learning English.
Step up to IELTS, Vanessa Jakeman
In our collection we have:
- Books, tapes, videos, CDs and CD-ROMs to help you learn English
- Grammar, vocabulary books and dictionaries
- Items to help you take IELTS and TOEFL tests
- Books about living in New Zealand, including cooking, parenting and health
- Stories to enjoy.
These items are available in the Adult Learning Collection, the main collection at 420.7 and 428.24, and the Central Sound & Vision Centre. There are Adult Learning collections at Central, Newtown, Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie), Johnsonville, Miramar and Karori Libraries.
All of these items are FREE to borrow and are issued for 3 weeks. You can borrow as many items as you like.
For more information, visit our English as a Second Language pathfinder.
MagazinesArabic magazine Sayidaty is held at Kilbirnie, Miramar and Newtown libraries, and Fairuz is available at Central, Karori, Kilbirnie, Miramar and Newtown libraries. You may read magazines in the Library, or borrow lending copies for one week with your Library Card. Both Sayidaty and Fairuz magazines can be borrowed free of charge.
You can access Arabic newspapers on our free Internet computers at every Library.
Books in ArabicBooks in Arabic are held on the First Floor of the Central Library, to the left of the stairs, near the Arts, Music & Literature Enquiries Desk. You may read these books in the Library, or borrow them for 3 weeks with your Library Card.
DVDs and Music CDsCDs and DVDs may be borrowed for 1 week with your Library Card. A borrowing fee is charged for Sound & Vision materials.
Music CDs are on the Ground Floor of Central Library, in the Sound & Vision Centre. Look for the World Music: Arabs, Algeria, Iraq, Morocco and Syria sections.
Though our collection of Arabic films is small, many DVDS have Arabic subtitles.
Books in EnglishMost books can be borrowed for 3 weeks. Our books are organised by a numbering system and the same system is used at all branches. For example, The Road Code for car, motor cycle and truck driver's licenses is shelved at 343.0946 DON. There are copies at all Libraries and they can be borrowed for 1 week. If no copies are currently available, you can reserve one with your Library Card.
Here are some subjects you may find useful:
- 428: learning English
- 492.7: Arabic-English dictionaries
- 500s: science, the universe, plants and animals
- 640-649: home care, sewing for the home, children's & adults' clothing, cooking and parenting
- 650s: information on working in New Zealand
- 700s: art, calligraphy, music, movies & entertainment
- 800s: literature, including poetry, plays, essays and letters
- 900s: countries, travel and history, including Arab history (956) and geography (915.6) and New Zealand travel (919.31)
The Yacoubian building,
Alaa Al Aswany (novel)
Wilfred Thesiger : the life
of the great explorer,
Taking tea in the medina ,
Julie Le Clerc
The complete Middle East cookbook,
Please ask us if you need help finding anything you need.