Have you ever wanted to go somewhere? Do something? Be somebody? Our events, clubs and programmes for teens may be just the thing you have been looking for!
Check out all our events for teens on our Event Calendar, or read on for all the deets.
Lots of our libraries have board games for you to check out and play while you’re visiting, but if you like the thought of bringing along some friends to immerse yourself in the world of tabletop-based nerdiness, our Board Game afternoons at Waitohi may be for you!
- Johnsonville Library | Mondays, 3 – 5pm | More info
Code Club is kind of more of a tween thing, being mainly for folks aged 9-13, but even if you personally are ‘too old’ to be involved, we are always looking for high school students with experience in coding (especially Scratch, Python, and HTML/CSS) to help run the clubs and support the younger kids. It’s a great opportunity to get some solid experience and a recommendation on your CV, so whether you’re keen to be part of Code Club as a learner or as a volunteer tutor supported by our staff, we’d love to hear from you! Find out more about volunteering for Code Club here.
- Cummings Park (Ngaio) Library | Thursdays, 3.30 – 4.30pm | Get involved
- Johnsonville Library (beginner group) | Thursdays, 3.30 – 4.30pm | Get involved
- Johnsonville Library (advanced group) | Mondays, 3.30 – 4.30pm | Get involved
- Karori Library | Tuesdays, 3.30 – 4.30pm | Get involved
- Mervyn Kemp (Tawa) Library | Saturdays, 2 – 3pm | Get involved
- Newtown Library | Mondays, 3.45 – 4.45pm | Get involved
We currently run D&D campaigns for teens at a number of our libraries. All of our parties are full at the moment, but please do register your interest below if you would like to be contacted when a space becomes available in a party near you.
Would you like to DM for a library D&D group? We’d love to hear from you! Please email the Youth Librarian with your name, experience, and at which library you would be interested in running a game!
Whether you’re a player or a DM, we provide everything you might need for a game, from the space and the sourcebooks (5e), right down to the dice and, if you like, a 3D printer to make your miniatures and a laser cutter to make your custom DM screen.
- Johnsonville Library | Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons | *All groups and waitlists are currently full*
- Mervyn Kemp (Tawa) Library | Thursday afternoons | Register your interest with the Tawa team
- Karori Library | Thursday evenings | Register your interest with the Karori team
Look, times have been pretty tough lately. And sometimes the best thing to do when times get tough is just… revert to childhood. Come along to LEGO® Time (or LEGO® Night if your taste is a little more refined) and let the troubles of the world melt away as you dive into our gigantic box of coloured, branded bricks to finally build that tower (or dinosaur or spaceship or town or giant laser death robot) you’ve been dreaming of since Mum donated your LEGO® set to the local kindergarten on your 13th birthday, never to be seen again. (No, I’m definitely not bitter. Look, just come to the thing, alright?)
- Te Awe Library | LEGO® Time | Saturdays, 2 – 3pm and Sundays, 11am – 12pm
- Te Awe Library | LEGO® Night | Wednesdays, 5.30 – 7.30pm
Do you like sitting? Do you like knitting? Then boy do we have the programme for you. Introducing Sit and Knit, a fortnightly group where we do fibrecrafts like knitting, sewing, weaving, and crochet while debating the finer points of, well, whatever the topic of the day is! You can bring along your own project, or use our basket of goodies to get started. Space in this club is limited, so you do need to register before coming along!
- Johnsonville Library | Every 2nd Sunday, 2.00 – 4.00pm | Register here
Our after-hours Youth Nights are for you if you’re into gaming, making music, watching movies, doing crafts, debating the finer points of costume design in RuPaul’s Drag Race, eating free pizza, absolutely smashing Beat Saber on one of our Oculus Rifts, or just generally getting up to Mischief and Hijinks. Oh, and books, we like those too.
Youth Night is free (did we mention there’s free pizza?), but you do need to bring along your student ID to show you’re older than 13. Once you’re in, our spaces are all yours.
- Johnsonville Library | First Saturday of the month, 5.00 – 8.00pm | More info
- Karori Library | Third Saturday of the month, 5.00 – 8.00pm | More info