World Space Week – Libraries blast off!
This year, our October school holiday programming coincides with World Space Week, which runs from October 4-10. This year, the international theme is ‘space and sustainability.’
Space-themed events at at your library!
To celebrate, Wellington City Libraries has a suite of events across our library branches (visit our event calendar for the full list — note that some events require registration):
- Let’s Go Lego®: The Final Frontier – Put your creative skills to the test to design and build your space-bound masterpieces. Recommended for children aged 5+ with their caregivers.
- Whānau movie screenings – join us for a range of space-themed family friendly titles at sites including Newtown, Te Awe, Johnsonville, and Wadestown.
- Crafting and design sessions:
- He Matapihi Library is hosting Space Suit of the Future on 12 October, along with space themed Craftivity sessions on 8 and 15 October!
- Over at Te Awe, we have Make Your Own Planet sessions on 6 and 12 October, along with Space Rockets on 5 and 11 October!
- Tawa has the awesome ‘Personal Space!’ Clay Workshop For Kids on 7 October, prepared for young space cadets!
- Ozobot Stellar Journeys – Join us at Kilbirnie or Cummings Park library for stellar journeys with our Ozobot coding robots!
- Outer Space Preschool Storytimes – Join us for special session of space themed stories, to celebrate World Space Week 2022! Some sites will also offer space-themed Baby Rock and Rhyme for your wee one!
- Ukulele Universe – get in quick to sign up for an introductory ukulele session with our Johnsonville Library instruments and talented staff! Sessions are coming up on 6 and 13 October.
- Star Stitching – Embroider your constellation and mount it on card! Recommended for children (10+) accompanied by parents, or young adults (14+), but open to all. Events are at Johnsonville Library on 9 and 16 October.
- Experience VR ISS: International Space Station – suitable for older kids and teens using our Oculus Quest 2s and Oculus Rifts at Miramar, Karori, and Te Awe.
Other special events during the October School Holidays!
Storytime with local author Alan Wade – Alan Wade, author of ‘Grandma and Grandpa Save the Day, is joining us for a very special storytime! Alan and his daughter will do a reading of the book, followed by a little craft activity based on the book’s illustrations! All ages welcome to come along to Cummings Park Library on 13 October at 11:00am.
Spanish Language Storytime – This holidays, join us for a special Spanish language storytime! Fun and interactive stories in Spanish, and crafts for pre-schoolers, kids and the whole whānau. All ages welcome to come along to Karori Library on 4 October at 10:30am.
Bee Curious: Learn about Bees with Eva the Apiarist – Local apiarist (bee keeper & enthusiast), Eva, is coming to Wadestown library on 6 October, to run a wonderful practical session about bees for children and their whānau! Registration is required: please register your interest with Louise Davies by email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Poetry Workshop – Come along and learn some poetry techniques with the wonderful Wadestown crew!
Recommended for ages 5 – 12 with their caregivers.
Takes place on 3 – 4PM on Monday 10 October!
Keep an eye out on our event calendar as more events arise (and maybe learn about Lego® sessions for parents and adults too!)