Lingogo is an app that lets you read and listen to Māori stories, and it’s free to access through your library membership! It’s great for both beginner and intermediate learners of te reo Māori, and every story has native speaker audio attached for those who prefer to listen.
Leading research shows that reading and listening for pleasure is hands-down the most efficient way to acquire a new language, so download the app to enjoy great stories and immerse yourself in te reo Māori!
To get started:
- Download the Lingogo app to your Apple or Android phone or tablet from the Google Play Store (Lingogo) or Apple App Store (Lingogo)
- Choose ‘Wellington Libraries’ and enter your library barcode number to log in and access the Lingogo collection
- Once logged in with your library barcode number, browse and explore beginner and intermediate-level stories in te reo Māori.
- Tap sentences for the English translation and tap the headphones icon to hear the sentences read aloud in te reo Māori.
- For an eAudiobook experience, read the story to the end and tap the ‘Extra for experts’ button to listen to the full story in te reo Māori.