World Chess Day: Event on 20 July

To mark the occasion of the World Chess Day, we are having a FREE chess event at 12:00-1:00pm on 20th of July at Arapaki Library. Whether you are a beginner or a grand master, you are welcome to join! Wellington Chess Club can also offer a free demonstration. Chess sets will be provided.

If you would like to explore chess further, you can also borrow and play the chess sets at Arapaki library. You can also dive into library’s collection of chess books, and you can also read Chess for Beginners Magazine on OverDrive from your computer or smartphone.

What it takes to become a Grandmaster / Soltis, Andy
“Becoming a Grandmaster is the ultimate aim for serious chess players, this book will take you to the next level. Written by the every-popular chess writer Andrew Soltis, this book teaches you how to identify the kinds of moves and techniques that go the extra mile. Among the fifty principal topics covered in this book are: Risk Management, Preserving Tension, Mystery Moves, Hierarchy of Advantages, Tacking, Piece Nullification, Timing, Freezing the Centre, Trending, Doubting the Computer.” (Adapted from the Catalogue)

Chess tactics from scratch : understanding chess tactics / Weteschnik, Martin
“‘Chess is 99 per cent tactics’ is an old saying. This may be an exaggeration, but even the remaining 1 per cent still depends on tactics. Martin Weteschnik  realized that even the stronger club players had great weaknesses in their tactical play. He also discovered that simply asking them to solve a huge number of puzzles did not fix the problem. This is improved from the first edition which became a modern classic.” (Adapted from the Catalogue)

Tactics training. how to improve your chess with Garry Kasparov and become a chess tactics master / Garry Kasparov :
“Garry Kasparov is a fighter, both in chess and in life. The 13th World Champion was known for his deep opening analysis, but also for his positional understanding and combinatory play. This book has tactics and winning moves from Kasparov. One hundred training exercises are offered, in positions where Kasparov turned the game in his favour. The puzzles start at a moderate level and gradually get more difficult.” (Adapted from the Catalogue)

500 chess questions answered / Soltis, Andy
“Written by one of the best chess communicators in the business, chess master and chess journalist Andy Soltis divulges practical advice and explains technical terms that chess books often overlook. From learning how to train your mind with chess information to choosing the best chess opening, dip in and out of this invaluable guide to improve your chess in a minutes.” — Provided by publisher” (Catalogue)

Play the English / Pritchett, Craig
“In Play the English! Craig Pritchett produces a comprehensive and yet practical repertoire for White in this sophisticated opening favoured by World Champions Kasparov and Kramnik, presenting an answer to all of Black’s key defences, whether they are in the crucial main lines or the tricky offbeat variations.” (Catalogue)

Chess for dummies / Eade, James
“Introduces readers of all levels to different perspectives on chess, from strategy and etiquette, to winning defensive and offensive secrets. Contains chapters on computer chess games, playing chess online, new tournament rules and much more.” (Adapted from the Catalogue)

The everything chess basics book / Kurzdorfer, Peter
“Provides background on the game of chess, its different forms, and the U.S. Chess Federation, presents an introduction to the chessboard and playing pieces, explains various strategies and moves, and discusses chess computers, clubs, exhibitions, and recordkeeping.” (Adapted from the Catalogue)