I once facilitated a book group every month on a Friday afternoon at the wonderfully diverse Newtown library involving 8 book-loving, library users. We would discuss the ideas, plots, characters, sense of place and theme of each book like this would be our last, usually over coffee, tea and scones.
We have hundreds of titles to choose from across adult fiction, Aotearoa, nonfiction, kids and teen audiences for discovery by book groups, for community reads, and fiery or friendly discussion. Expect thought-provoking reads across genres like mystery, science fiction, classic literature, poetry and award-winning fiction but also best-selling popular biographies, science and business nonfiction.
Here’s a quick selectors pick of 10 of some of the always available titles ready to read now:
- The Luminaries by Eleanor Cotton
- The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu
- The Bitterroots by C J Box
- When They Call You a Terrorist by Patrisse Khan-Cullors
- Hera Lindsay Bird by Hera Lindsay Bird
- Smoke Gets in Your Eyes by Caitlin Doughty
- Te Koparapara: An Introduction the the Maori World
- Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan
- Monster series by Michael Grant
- Mophead by Selina Tusitala Marsh
For even more options try our carefully chosen selection of over 370 classic novels by Jane Austen, Agatha Christie, Leo Tolstoy, Charles Dickens – an entire pantheon of always available literary classics.