This page aims to be a guide to movie (and television) resources at the library - and covers both our audiovisual resources and our book collections in this area. Have a browse!
New DVDs & Staff Picks
We blog about new DVDs and staff picks from our collection over on the library's News Blog. Our most recent post about DVDs will show below, but you can always click the buttons below to head over to the News Blog and read about either new DVDs, or exceptional picks from our back catalogue.
More recent items
Check out the complete monthly lists of our latest DVDs
New film and television books
Want to check out what's in the latest issue of your favourite movie magazine? Here are some links to either the magazine's website, or (where available), the fulltext of the magazine through our online databases. Enjoy!
(Note: to read articles online, you must have logged into EBSCO during the past month on the computer you are using.)
- American Cinematographer
- Entertainment Weekly
- Film Comment
- Newsreel = Newsreel ceased publication in 2011 and is reference only and kept on the 2nd Floor of the central library.
- For the last few issues, visit Ngā Taonga Sound & Vision
- Sight & Sound
What's on in Wellington?
- The Embassy (Event cinemas)
- Empire (Island Bay)
- Lighthouse Cinemas
- Paramount Cinema
- Penthouse Cinema
- Reading Cinemas
Trailers, descriptions, ratings and session times for films in New Zealand cinemas.
- Wellington Film Society
Join the society or buy a sampler to see old and new gems from throughout the world.
- Wellington Film Guide
Session times and reviews for current and upcoming releases.
Session times for films in all Wellington (and Christchurch) theatres.
|Subject area:||Dewey no.:|
|The film section||Mainly 791.43 - 791.438|
|Directors||791.43023 (also try the Biography section)|
|Actors||791.43092 (also try the Biography section)|
|Film editing software (eg Adobe Premier, iMovie, QuickTime)||778.559, 778.5992, 006.6869|
If you're after something specific such as information on a particular person or film, try a subject or keyword search in our catalogue.
Check the large book section and reference books if you can't find anything in the normal-size sequence.
'Select: Sound & Vision' collection!
Get the latest CDs & DVDs faster! The 'Select' collection - available at Karori and Kilbirnie libraries as well as Central - is designed to make it easier to borrow heavily used and reserved items within our AV Collection. The items in this collection have a reduced loan period of 3 days, meaning you can access the most popular CDs and DVDs faster for the same price and find them on the shelf more often.
Online movie resources
- All Movie Guide
Huge database featuring reviews, actor biographies, cast/credits info, genre keyword searching amongst other features.
Database & news.
- Internet Movie Database
Similar to allmovie.com, but arguably more extensive. Movie news, biographies, user-ratings, plot summaries, photo galleries and more.
- Movie Review Query Engine
Easy to use movie review database. Links to full text reviews of over 100,000 films.
- Daily Film Dose
Film reviews, as well as plenty of interesting features.
- The A.V Club
A one stop shop, 'The AV Club' is an online entertainment paper, published by 'The Onion', though it is not satirical in content. It includes reviews of films, music, comics, DVDs, vide games & books.
- The DVD Journal
A great site, 'The DVD Journal' is now unfortunately defunct. Begun in 1997, it provided over 10 years worth of great reviews and features, focusing not just on the movies themselves, but also the technical aspects of the DVD releases and re-issues.
- The Pinocchio Theory
Not just a 'review' site, Steven Shaviro's blog incorporates the world of film with his interests in philosophers Giles Deleuze & A.N Whitehead, pop music & comic books.
- Self Styled Siren
A literate, but never pretentious, film blog that has plenty of smart things to say about old movies - all the way back to the silent era - & film preservation. With plenty of great stories on actors, actresses and the old Studio system.
- Fringe Film Festival February.
- OutTakes Lesbian & Gay Film Festival Late May/early June.
- Wellington Film Festival July-August.
New Zealand Film
- Lonely Geek NZ cinema guide
Links to industry sites.
- Lord of the Rings location guide
- Ngā Taonga Sound & Vision
New Zealand Archive of Film, Television and Sound, includes an Events Calendar.
- New Zealand Film Commission
Screen Production and Development Association
- Zeroland (NZ film section)
NZ News, Reviews, Media
- Screen Hub
Daily online film and television industry news & vacancies.
NZ site with film criticism, reviews and forum.
- New Zealand Herald
Daily reviews, competitions, entertainment news.
International News, Reviews, Media
- Agony Booth - "An ongoing inquisition into some of the worst movies humanity has to offer."
- Cinema review - Archived reviews of cinema and video/DVD releases. Provides short synopses; critical reviews; cast and crew information; average reviewer ratings.
- Comic Critic - Movie reviews done in comic form.
- DVD Talk - DVD reviews and columns.
- E-online - Hollywood gossip.
- Guardian - great film reviews.
- JoBlo - Latest news, DVD, VHS and cinema reviews; upcoming releases, box office rankings.
- Journal of Religion and Film
- Masters of Cinema - Substantial material about quality foreign films and classics.
- Metacritic - Compares net-wide reviews for film and DVD/Video releases to yield an overall rating.
- Moviemaker - Magazine on the 'art and business of making movies'.
- New York Times - some of the best reviews and analysis (free registration req'd).
- Reelviews - Copious reviews by James Berardinelli.
- Roger Ebert - Reviews, interviews & essays, events and 'answer man'.
- Rotten Tomatoes - Similar to Metacritic, Rotten Tomatoes compiles net-wide reviews to give an overall 'fresh' or 'rotten' rating.
- U.K. Critic
Studios and Collectives - International
- British Film Institute
- Universal Studios
- Wikipedia list of film production companies
- Wikipedia index of motion picture-related articles
DVD rental & retail
- Aro Video - Wellington's home of quality film has an equally excellent website. The fully searchable catalogue is replete with reviews and recommendations. They also have a good range of VHS and DVD titles for purchase.
- DVD video NZ
- Real Groovy
- United Video
- Video Ezy
- The Movie Wavs Page - Recorded, downloadable, classic movie quotes. Just the thing for that Dirty Harry line you always wanted for your answering machine. See also: The Movie Sounds Database and Reelwavs.
- The Oscars
- The Razzies
- Whoops! - Movie Goofs, Flubs, Flaws and Mistakes.
- Office of film & literature classification New Zealand (Office of Film & Literature Classification)
- New Zealand Censorship Information in other languages (Office of Film & Literature Classification)
This page is written and maintained by Mark, our Sound & Vision specialist. My aim is to keep you informed about the film and television collections and to highlight parts of the collection which may interest you. I'd be pleased to hear from you about this page - you can email me with any feedback.