Self help / Personal development
Where to find self help books
Click on the links to browse books by subject and call number. This is a selection of topics - ask a staff member if you have difficulty locating another subject. Only the main Dewey numbers are listed below.
|Subject||Main Dewey number|
|Astrology, Feng shui & parapsychology||133-135|
|Child psychology & parenting||155.4, 305.231 (social issues), parenting pathfinder|
|Freud & psychoanalysis||150.1952|
|Men and psychology||155.332, 305.31 (men and society)|
|Mental health & depression||362.2, 616.8527 (depression), 616.89 (mental disorders)|
|Self-help, happiness & interpersonal relations||158.1-158.2|
|Separation & divorce||306.89|
|Substance abuse, quitting smoking||362.29, 613.85 (smoking)|
|Tests - psychometric, employment & personality||152.8, 155.28, 658.31125|
|Women and psychology||155.633, 155.333, 305.4 (women and society)|
|Work-life balance and job satisfaction||650.1, 158.1|
Searching the classic catalogue
Subjects search and Keyword search are different search types.
- Searches for your keywords in titles, subjects, table of contents - everything except for author names.
- Advantage : A keyword search expands the search to all occurrences of a given word of combination of words.
- Disadvantage : A keyword search may retrieve more items than you want, some of them unrelated to your subject.
- only searches Library of Congress subject headings, and if you use different words than they do, you'll get no results.
- Advantage : A subjects search retrieves exactly what you ask for.
- Disadvantage : A subjects search limits you to only what you specifically ask for.
If you are not sure which search type to use, or how to search the catalogue to find what you want, please feel free to ask a librarian for assistance, or try our Catalogue help page
Our psychology magazines include Psychologies magazine. We also have many health, religion and social issues magazines with self help articles. There are several psychology magazines in our online databases such as EBSCO MasterFILE Premier and Gale Health and Wellness Resource Center.
New books in MyLibrary
Wellington City Libraries members can use the Mygateway.info databases for free from internet computers anywhere. Many psychology journals are available in EBSCO MasterFILE Premier and Gale Health and Wellness Resource Center.
- Te Puna Web Directory - Psychology
- Te Puna Web Directory - Community and Social Studies
Some of the above websites can be accessed freely using the free internet computers at your local library. Ask a librarian to show you where these are located.