What is the free internet service?
Wellington City Libraries provides free access to many websites whose addresses end in ".nz". We also provide access to thousands of international websites as well, including reference websites, dictionaries, entertainment and educational websites - along with our own catalogues & online databases.
Each 'free internet session' lasts for 30 minutes which allows you to use either browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox) on this computer, as well as software such as Microsoft Office. If you have any questions, please ask a library staff member.
- NZ WhitePages
- NZ YellowPages
- Australian WhitePages
- Australian YellowPages
- Canada, British Telecom
- South Africa
Careers and jobs
- Careers NZ
This is a government site which provides career information, advice and guides
- Career resources
Library guide to career choice, with recommended websites
- New Zealand Government Jobs Online
- Education Gazette
- Local Government Careers & Vacancies
- Trademe Jobs
- Marketline Advantage (formerly Datamonitor): Mainly international in scope but Marketline Advantage has more New Zealand and Australian information appearing. This impressive market research database can be used to look for company profiles, country profiles (very detailed), industry profiles, and case studies (new).
(Access in-library only)
- NZ Stock Exchange annual reports - Annual reports for NZ listed and delisted companies, dating back as far as 1989 (in some cases).
A list of online New Zealand business directories across a wide range of industries can be found on our Business pages. Please note that some sites may not be available on the public internet free service.
- Europages - Covers 500,000 companies from 30 European countries from all activity sectors. Includes company address, telephone, fax and email and provides direct access to the yellow pages sites throughout Europe.
- Thomas Register - The most comprehensive online resource for finding companies and products manufactured in North America
- Ancestry.com: Contains millions of records accessible in one powerful search. In-library use only
- FindMyPast: With millions of records covering Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and Ireland. In-library use only
- Wellington City Council Cemeteries Database
- FamilySearch: gaining access to the International Genealogical Index (IGI), 1881 U.K. and U.S. Censuses, as well as many other genealogical resources.
- Rootsweb: the "oldest and largest free genealogy site".
- New Zealand Society of Genealogists
- Archives New Zealand: Archway search
- Whakapapa research at maaori.com
- More links
If you know the address of a hapu or iwi, please type it in the address box above, or click on a link below. Please tell the enquiry desk if the address you've chosen doesn't work. Iwi websites include Ngati Porou, Ngai Tahu and Ngati Awa.
NB. All websites ending in ".nz" are available on this computer.
- Study guides.
- New Zealand Road Code: The road rules online; you will need to consult the appropriate Official New Zealand Road Code book for test questions and information specific to cars, motorcycles and heavy vehicles.
- Studylink: Ministry of Social Development - for application forms and information on student allowances, student loans and other help