Find out about your local librarians!
1. What is your name? Frith
2. Which library(s) do you work at? Karori and Cummings Park (Ngaio) libraries
3. What’s the best thing about being a librarian? The box of stamps I have under the counter. There are so many!
4. Favourite book? This is the first book in my favourite series – The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (we have this book at Karori library, by the way). Gen the thief is caught in jail when he is offered a job by the King’s Magus… but there’s a catch. There are four books so far, but I can’t tell you anything more about them, because there are so many plot twists it would ruin things for you. You’ll have to read them to find out.
5. When I read I like to…? I like to read on the roof! I live on the second floor above a café, and I can climb out the front windows onto the café roof to sit with a book in the sun.
6. If you wrote a book, what would it be about? I can’t tell you. I write so slowly, someone else might get my idea and finish writing the book before I did.
7. If I wasn’t a librarian, I would be a …? I would be a Sign Language Interpreter, someone who translates English into sign language (and the other way round) for Deaf people.
8. Favourite food? Fish, bacon and banana pie. It sounds disgusting, but tastes delicious (the secret is butter, lots of butter).
9. Favourite place in the world? The Rose-Red City of Petra. It’s in the country of Jordan in the Middle East and is built of caves in the rock of the mountain. It’s thousands of years old and still standing.
10. My dream library would have…? My dream library would have pets. Not just a library cat, but pet mice, rabbits, or even a puppy that visits. The borrowers could name them, help feed them at storytimes, and kids learning to read could read to the animals and pat them. Imagine snuggling up in an armchair to read with the library rabbit!