Have you heard about The Great NZ Science Project? Now’s your chance to get behind science and help New Zealand decide how we use it to invest in our future. Explore areas of interest and join the debate. The future of science in New Zealand is in your hands.
Important and leading NZ scientists have teamed up with our best free-thinkers -you guys, to figure out what science areas NZ should be focusing and spending our money on.
There are lots of ideas and projects suggested in the areas of
- Advanced materials and manufacturing (can we design exciting new products and materials?)
- Food for health (We are what we eat… or are we?)
- Fighting disease (can we cure cancer?)
- Land and water (keeping or land and water clean and pure)
- Natural hazards (like volcanoes and earthquakes)
- Changing climate (Is the world getting warmer? How does it affect us?)
- Our rich seas (marine life and what lies beneath)
- Protecting our biodiversity (all our native plants and animals)
In each of these areas you can find out about what’s happening, what could happen in the future and why it’s important for scientists to work in these areas. There are heaps of facts and videos to watch. The videos are really cool, I reckon you should watch them.
Then you get to vote and write your opinion on whether you support science developments in these areas, which areas you think are most important and, coolest of all, you get to tell the scientists what you think they should be working on.
If you have an idea for a project for NZ scientists you can suggest it and you never know, an awesome scientist out there might think it’s a good idea and start working on it -Cool!