We have a brand-new look for our WCL Mini app!
If you already had the previous app installed, you should be prompted to update to the new version the next time you open it. Otherwise, the new app is available for download now in both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. The new app features a fresh design featuring our favourite nikau palm – this is what you will see in the App and Play stores:
The app has some great new features, including:
- Virtual library card: When you are logged in to the WCL Mini app, under “My Account” you will find a barcode for your library card which can be read by our self-issue scanners. Nifty!
- Pay fines & fees: There is a link from the app’s main menu to pay your fines and fees online.
- eLibrary access: Find links to Overdrive, Borrowbox and our databases from the eLibrary sub-menu
- Twitter and Facebook: Our social media feeds are integrated within WCL Mini.
Here’s a quick peek at the new look app home page:
Please note: For iOS users, this is a new app, not just an update to the old app. Once you have downloaded the new app, you may delete the previous app from your device. Android users can just update their existing app to the new version.
If you have any issues with the app, please report them using our technical support form.
We will also be rolling out the new nikau icon to our social media platforms, so don’t be alarmed if you see the new icon associated with our social accounts. Happy reading!
Wellington City Libraries now has its very own app – WCL Mini. If you regularly use a smartphone, this enables you to do a bunch of things that previously may have resulted in hair-tearing, swearing and/or mashing of fat fingers against a tiny screen. Some of the things you can do include:
- checking the catalogue
- checking account details (loans, reserves etc)
- “book look” – scan non-library books (from a bookstore, or a friend’s collection for example) to see if the library has a copy
- one-click access to OverDrive ebooks and mp3 audiobooks*
- locate the nearest branch to you – get directions; find out the opening hours; give them a call
- keeping up to date with our Facebook and Twitter feeds
*The OverDrive Media Console app will also need to be installed
We’ll also be building in links to some of our other online resources as we go.
Compatibility: The app is available for devices using the Apple iOs (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad) and Android operating systems. It’s also available for BlackBerry, J2ME, Palm OS, Symbian S60 and Windows Mobile.
Alternatively you can search for WCL Mini in the App Store (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) or Google Play (Android devices).
Try it on the PC
Don’t have a smartphone? There’s a web version you can use that mimics the app. Use the same link as above in your web browser.
Let us know if you experience any technical errors, oddities or annoyances when using the app – we can feed this back to the app creators for future releases. Also, we’d love to know if there’s something you like about it. Just add your thoughts to the comments below.