Experience Chinese culture and language at Wellington City Libraries. There are lots of fun things to do such as Tai Chi, a Chinese film night, Nihao Stories & Rhymes for children, and much more. All for free.
Nihao Stories & Rhymes session
The popular Nihao Stories & Rhymes sessions in Chinese will take place at Central and three branch libraries during Chinese Language Week.
– Central library: 10:00-10:30am, Every Thursday. Cost: Free.
– Karori library: 10:30-11:00am, Tuesday 8 September. Cost: Free.
– Johnsonville library: 10:30-11:00am, Monday 7 September. Cost: Free.
– Ruth Gotlieb (Kilbirnie) library: 11:00-11:30am, Friday 11 September. Cost: Free.
Basic Chinese (Mandarin) Lesson
Come to the library for a 30 minute session to learn Chinese. The session will be based on the bi-lingual books at the Chinese Corner and will focus on basic communication words and phrases include greetings, travel and much more.
– Central library: 1:00-1:30pm Tuesday 8 September. Cost: Free
– Karori library: 3:30-4:00pm Friday 11 September. Cost: Free.
Tai Chi Class
Stressed and sore? Join a free Tai Chi class at the Central Library with experienced Tai Chi tutor Aaron Lavack from the Sing Ong Tai Chi . Tai Chi can reduce stress and improve relaxation. The lesson will be held on Friday 11th of September at 12:30-1:30pm on the ground floor of Central Library. No booking is required.
Chinese Film Night
Enjoy a big night out with your friends to watch a film for free at the Central and Newtown Library. Films are in Chinese with English subtitles.
– Central library: 6:00-8:00pm. Wednesday 9 September. Cost: Free.We will be playing ‘The Bullet Vanishes’ on the ground floor at central library. The film is rated R16, and you must be aged 16 or older to attend the screening.
– Newtown library: 6:00-8:00pm. Friday 11 September. Cost: Free.We will be playing a different at Newtown. There were TV series and now a movies based on a folktale. Film is rated PG13 and recommended for audience aged 13 and over.
We have special permission to screen these films for free in the Central and Newtown Library. Bookings are required as seats are limited. Please call us to reserve your seat on 801-4068(Central), 801-4083 (Chinese), or 3892839 (Newtown) during library opening hours. Note: reservations not taken up by the starting time at 6pm may be reallocated to customers waiting, as numbers are limited.
Chinese Painting Class
Famous painter Deyu Cheng is visiting our libraries to teach Chinese painting. Come along and enjoy an artistic experience.
– Central library: 11:00-12:00am. Monday 7 September. Cost: Free.
Central Library Tour in Chinese
Have you wondered what’s on the second floor, where to find information about Wellington birth, marriage and death records and where to find books to learn Chinese? During Chinese Language Week, it’s your chance to join a free library tour and know more about the library collection. The tours will be conducted in Chinese. Two sessions available: Monday 7 September at 2:30-4:00pm and Thursday 10 September at 2:30-4:00pm Bookings are essential. Please call the information desk on 801-4068 or 8014083 (Chinese).
Learn Chinese with eBooks
Bilingual eBooks and eAudio books are great tools for learning Chinese anywhere you have access to the internet or you can download them to your computer or smartphone. See selected highlights from our Overdrive collection, or browse the full range of eBooks and eAudio Books on OverDrive.