Have you tried WCL mini – our library app?
Wellington City Libraries now has its very own app – WCL Mini. If you regularly use a smartphone, this enables you to do a bunch of things that previously may have resulted in hair-tearing, swearing and/or mashing of fat fingers against a tiny screen. Some of the things you can do include:
- checking the catalogue
- checking account details (loans, reserves etc)
- “book look” – scan non-library books (from a bookstore, or a friend’s collection for example) to see if the library has a copy
- one-click access to OverDrive ebooks and mp3 audiobooks*
- locate the nearest branch to you – get directions; find out the opening hours; give them a call
- keeping up to date with our Facebook and Twitter feeds
*The OverDrive Media Console app will also need to be installed
We’ll also be building in links to some of our other online resources as we go.
Compatibility: The app is available for devices using the Apple iOs (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad) and Android operating systems. It’s also available for BlackBerry, J2ME, Palm OS, Symbian S60 and Windows Mobile.
- make sure you’re connected to Wi-Fi or a cellphone network
- use your device’s web browser to visit http://wellington.boopsie.com
- select install
Alternatively you can search for WCL Mini in the App Store (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) or Google Play (Android devices).
Try it on the PC
Don’t have a smartphone? There’s a web version you can use that mimics the app. Use the same link as above in your web browser.
Let us know if you experience any technical errors, oddities or annoyances when using the app – we can feed this back to the app creators for future releases. Also, we’d love to know if there’s something you like about it. Just add your thoughts to the comments below.